What is the Scottish Trainer Framework?
The Scottish Trainer Framework (STF) was developed by NHS Education for Scotland (NES) in partnership with the five Scottish Medical Schools and the territorial Health Boards via the Directors of Medical Education (DME) group. It is primarily intended to support individual teachers and trainers in meeting the GMC's requirements for formal trainer recognition. It sets out the criteria and mandatory training requirements for trainer recognition in Scotland and additionally provides support and guidance for anyone involved in medical teaching and training.
Who is the STF for?
The criteria for recognition apply to all current and prospective 'named trainers' working in Scotland, but the STF can also be used as a developmental guide for those with less formal roles in teaching including, for example, trainee doctors and nursing or allied health professionals involved in medical teaching and training.
GP trainers are covered by separate, formal requirements for approval, however GPs acting as clinical or educational supervisors for secondary care trainees will be required to meet the requirements for recognition if they are not already approved GP trainers.
While the primary purpose of the STF is to support individual teachers and trainers, it may also be of interest to anyone involved in:
- developing local trainer development programmes
- selecting trainers
- trainer appraisal – as a guide to the appraisal discussion
- recognising trainers
- trainers' job planning
How does the STF support GMC requirements?
Each section of the STF is structured around the seven areas for development identified by the GMC in order to enable both existing and aspirant named trainers to easily map their development to the requirements.
The seven areas are:
- Ensuring safe and effective patient care
- Establishing and maintaining an environment for learning
- Teaching and facilitating learning
- Enhancing learning though assessment
- Supporting and monitoring educational progress
- Guiding personal and professional development
- Continuing professional development as an educator